I've configured my pocketbeagle with a 3.7v Li-ION battery and it works
fine.  It also charges when I power the pocketbeage via the USB connector
(and switches seamlessly as USB power comes and goes) .  However it won't
charge the battery when the computer shuts down.  I suspect something
disables charging on the PMIC during shutdown.  Does anyone know if it's
possible to tell the system not to disable charging?  Or what part of the
kernel handles this?

I've also successfully read and written PMIC registers using the i2c
utilities, for example to reconfigure the upper charge voltage to 4.2v.

Thanks, Dan

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/04e1a9aa-7f61-431c-8c2b-42332d70e0aa%40googlegroups.com.