Hi Seth, I really appreciate the reply.

I was afraid of that. My GPS module requires +5v. Is there another +5v
source on the board that is switched off when the board powers down? What
about the black power connector above the GPS UART port?

Otherwise it looks like I will be building a resistor circuit and
triggering it from a GPIO pin.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/beca15f3-4b6f-4d5d-b240-9d791a9b39e8%40googlegroups.com.