What does /var/log/auth.log say on subsequent login attempts? That does
sound odd.

You could also run tcpdump to at least get an idea if it’s being refused
outright vs more of a ssh protocol problem.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CAHabsPSd-DsF5ejWB2UfQbLY-kfKFbdXJ%3DftS%2B9Y4ax9vwtD%2Bg%40mail.gmail.com.