I'm seeing the same behavior on a newer 4.14 kernel beaglebone image. If
the Beaglebone is already booted up and connected to a Chromebook, then the
USB device will properly be assigned the 192.168.7.1 address. If the
Beaglebone is powered over USB, though, the Chromebook seems to not see a
network device when it's immediately plugged in, as it hasn't had time to
boot, and never checks again. I can switch the Beaglebone board over to a
5V power supply, unplug the USB, replug it in and the Chromebook is able to
connect without issue. This seems like a Chromebook issue to me, but does
anyone have any suggestions for how to fix this?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/78c7eead-f47a-44cb-b94e-88c7217248c4%40googlegroups.com.