Further to my previous post bought the MOSFET from digikey, installed it
today and it now works fine. I'm pretty certain in my case though that I
didn't connect the battery the wrong way round. Anyway, thanks to this
group it's now back working again.
Here's the new installed component

[image: 2019-07-31-202742.jpg]