I agree with Tarmo in that your root is showing what looks like a 32GB SD
card and not the 4GB eMMC.
you can run 'df -h' to see the space in a more user friendly format.

Both reboot and ping map to '/sbin' and '/bin' so you could try the full
path to the tools to see if you can still run the commands directly.
Ex:
   sudo /sbin/reboot

 Also, unless you have modified the sudoers config, reboot is a root
function so you would typically need to run this as 'sudo' if you are
logged in as the debian user.
Ex: sudo reboot

To see if there are any issues being reported on the system, your can run
'dmesg' or view the messages in '/var/log/messages' and see if any device
related errors are being reported.

As far as BB support, the Beagle Board Support group should be your best
option.
https://groups.google.com/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!categories/beagleboard/support

You might want to provide the output of '/opt/scripts/version.sh' to get an
overall view of your config.

cheers,

Jon