On 14/4/20 3:00 am, Richard Day wrote:
> I had another look at BSD.
>
> Yes, lord only knows how you would convince the beagle to boot and root
> into that.
>
> Is this the thing the basis of what now runs on Apple Mac's?

I think Andrew gave a pretty in depth run-down, but yes, Apple MacOS X
is a distant BSD fork, as are a lot of "Unix" platforms (Solaris comes
to mind).

> What would you use that for?  I would miss the Linux/drivers folder too
> much.

Every OS has its pluses and minuses.  I personally use OpenBSD a lot on
various devices for router tasks.

Embedded Linux is my go-to for esoteric applications, but many of the
BSD derivatives out there, FreeBSD and OpenBSD included, are
open-source, so it's possible to dig into those just as much as you can
on Linux.

For some applications, BSD may be ideal since the license is very
liberal: if you are developing some application where you want to keep
the sources to yourself, you're legally allowed to under the modern BSD
license.  Under the GPLv2, you're obliged to provide the sources to
anyone you ship derived binaries to if they ask for them.

> Are you stuck indoors as well?  I will be here until June.  I might as well
> learn BSD as well.

I think most of the world is stuck indoors.

Easter long week-end, glorious weather, all national parks and caravan
parks closed… and stay-home orders by order of our Chief Medical
Officer.  Sounds like Murphy's law!
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...