On Thu, 7 May 2020 06:43:12 -0700 (PDT), in
gmane.comp.hardware.beagleboard.user kenneth fields
<kwfields969work-re5jqeeqqe8avxtiumw...@public.gmane.org> wrote:

>Must be able to move a 5000 pound load. here is where the servo outputs of

        The load is pretty much irrelevant -- it is dependent solely upon the
specifications of the actuator itself (motor, servo, gearing [use enough
gearing and an HO train motor could move that load -- though it may take a
few days of spinning before the motion is perceptible]).

>the BBB would come in handy. The motor I have for this task has the
>controller built in, so I need a device that would give me a start command
>and  a speed command. would this board be capable of this?

        Normal servo connections provide a PWM signal, the servo position is
determined by the ratio of high to low. Some servos have the position
feedback circuit and limit stops removed, and for these the PWM ratio acts
as a speed and direction control (50% duty cycle is "stop"). They do NOT
take "commands" per se.

        Without specifications/documentation of your motor/controller it is
difficult to identify what type of logic is needed to use it.

--
Dennis L Bieber