soldered a DC power header to turn it on without the secondary controller
board that comes with the miner

used the image you recommended without success.. it just refuses to boot

flashed the original firmware using hdd raw copy tool and it boots normally

original firmware
https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/201659685/S4_Jan_29_Image.imgc

<https://bitmain.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203558329-Jan-29-Image>

perhaps you can stripe open said image to compare?