On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 06:12:26 -0700 (PDT), in
gmane.comp.hardware.beagleboard.user Peter Gaskell
<pgaskell-63axycvo3tyhxe+lvdl...@public.gmane.org> wrote:

>On my RPi, eth1 and eth2 get the proper IPv4 addresses (192.168.7.1 and
>192.168.6.1)

        Interesting...

>Really I think I just want to route the multicast traffic between the two
>to the usb0/eth1 interface network but also be able to have them both on
>the internet and be able to "sniff" the traffic on the usb0/eth1 network by
>connecting to an access point on one of them.  Unfortunately it seams
>having multicast packets go out to the wireless interfaces slows down the
>communication significantly.

        I'd have to ask why you are using multicast?

https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-mcbride-mboned-wifi-mcast-problem-statement-01.html
"""
One of the primary problems multicast over wifi faces is that link local
802.11 doesn't necessarily support multicast, it supports broadcast. To
make make multicast over wifi work successfully we often need to modify the
multicast to instead be sent as unicast in order for it to successfully
transmit with useable quality. Multicast over wifi experiences high packet
error rates, no acknowledgements, and low data rate. This draft reviews
these problems found with multicast over wifi. While this is not a
solutions draft, common workarounds to some of the problems will be listed,
along with the impact of the workarounds.
"""
A big problem is that the 802.11 multicast channel is an afterthought and
only given 100th of the bandwidth. Multicast is basically a second class
citizen, to unicast, over wifi. Unicast may have allocated 10mb while
Multicast will be allocated 1mb.
"""

https://wirelesslywired.com/2019/05/02/multicast-over-wireless/
"""
Multicast has brought a lot of efficiencies to IP networks. But multicast
wasn’t designed for wireless, and especially isn’t well suited for
high-bandwidth multicast applications like video. I’ll cover the challenges
of multicast over wireless and design considerations.
"""

--
Dennis L Bieber