Well ... after executing instructions from "Exploring BeagleBone" and then
*installing
java-common*, java seems well installed:
debian@beaglebone:~$ ls /usr/bin/java* -l
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Sep  4 12:46 /usr/bin/java ->
/etc/alternatives/java
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 Sep  4 12:48 /usr/bin/javac ->
/etc/alternatives/javac
debian@beaglebone:~$ java -version
java version "1.8.0_261"
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.261-b13, mixed mode)
debian@beaglebone:~$