If you search the Beagleboard forums you'll find this question has been
answered a few times fairly recently.  As far as QEMU is concerned, that is
not needed unless you are looking to set up an emulation environment on the
host system to test code before deploying it.

Ex:
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?tab=rm&ogbl#all/FMfcgxwJXVJDNpwqgTFZtTcgKNcksqrP

The main thing you need is the Toolchain for the BB.
https://releases.linaro.org/components/toolchain/binaries/latest-7/arm-linux-gnueabihf/

The best cross-platform option I have found is to use Eclipse, but you
could use Visual Studio Code as well. For Windows specific, you could use
Visual Studio but you may be limited to having to build on that target (BB)
remotely which defeats the purpose of cross-compiling. The best bet for
Windows and Visual Studio is to use VisualGDB but that is at an extra cost.
https://visualgdb.com/

There are some pre-build BB toolchains listed at the following link for
Windows dev but this is a bit dated.
https://gnutoolchains.com/beaglebone/

Good luck,

Jon