FSM_BUSY is recoverable without a POR
https://e2e.ti.com/support/processors/f/791/t/689926

I have used the ADC without any errors in a product
buffer the input with an opamp for protection and your good to go

On 10/7/2020 8:58 AM, Darren Freed wrote:
I personally would not use the AM335x onboard ADC in any form for a production device.  There is a known issue (Google FSM_BUSY) where the FSM gets into a hung state that cannot be resolved without POR.  I banged my head against that problem for several months before realizing what was happening. My setup involved using a PRU to acquire the data and send it to user space via rpmsg.  I've moved on to an ADS1299 based solution on a custom cape.

If you use devmem (or similar) to view the ADC registers (ADCSTAT in particular) during the hung state, you can see that bit 5 and bit 4 will both be set: FSM_BUSY=1 and STEP_ID= idle, which obviously isn't possible, meaning the FSM is hung and can't recover without POR.