A crossover cable is a bit old school.  Most modern Ethernet divides do not
require this; at least I have not seen a need for one a good amount of time.

As far as connecting to the Internet, did you set the "resolv.conf" on your
Beaglebone.  This is described in the link I provided previously.
Ex:
    *echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" >> /etc/resolv.conf*

*Jon*