Hello Robert,
thanks for the answer. So may i sumarize how the BBAI boots:

The Am5729 on the BBAI boots like:
- Reset Vector in the Arm start from an internal firmware.
- The internal firmware knows how to read some sectors from SD/MMC
- The internal firmware loads the MLO/SPL from the SD/MMC
- The MLO loads u-boot.img also from some sectors on the SD/MMC
- u-boot.img loads uEnv.txt also from some sectors
- u-boot loads kernel/fdt and initrd from the target partitions boot folder
- Linux starts.

Is this correct?

About the pinmux stuff nuked from mainline:
Does it mean, the kernel passed FDT from u-boot can be parsed from the
kernel but any pinmuxing (say: set pins to i2c) can't be done from the
kernel? Or is this FDT parsed from u-boot and pinmux set? As far as i know:
u-boot has basic hardware knowledge in it [3][4]. Can only at this stage
the pinmux be changed?

On early versions of the BBB, the SD card had a partition 1 (W95 FAT32) and
FS FAT16 and bootflag set. This partition contained MLO and u-boot.img.
Like modern PC systems with their EFI partition. I still have images from
2014 with Angstrom linux which have this setup.

Why did u-boot/TI/whoever switch back to bootloaders in sectors like it was
before EFI hit the PC system? Is this something that is different from SOC
to SOC?

Best Regards
Georg

[1] https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v5.4/driver-api/pinctl.html