I've been working for some time on trying to achieve the highest resolution
possible for a BeagleBone Black system I'm setting up as a dashboard
running Chronograf.

I've tried multiple operating systems and builds (including a brief stint
with FreeBSD), but what I'm using now is a Debian 10.7 console build
(4.19.94-ti-r57) downloaded from Robert Nelson's server
(BBB-blank-debian-10.7-console-armhf-2021-01-11-1gb.img.xz).  FWIW, none of
the versions I've tried (including those with LXQT) seem to make much
difference with regard to the issue I'm facing...

The BBB seems to really want to default to 1280x1024x60.  I can't get the
resolution I want - which is 1680x1050 (I really want 1920x1080, but I
suspect my monitor won't support 24 or 30 Hz).

I've been able to get 1440x900x60 by adding "video=HDMI-A-1:1440x900@60e"
to "cmdline" in uEnv.txt.  Unfortunately, setting this to 1680x1050x60e
seems to cause the resolution to revert to 1280x1024.  BTW - what does the
"e" suffix do?  I've tried with and without, and haven't figured out what
its significance is.

I don't see 1680x1050 in the list on
https://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_HDMI#Supported_Resolutions,
but from I've read it should work?

I read somewhere that resolutions/bandwidth are limited via the audio
channel.  So I've also tried disabling HDMI audio (I don't use it) by
un-commenting "disable_uboot_overlay_audio=1".

My monitor, by the way, is an older HP Compaq LA2405x.  I have confirmed
that it supports 1680x1050 at 60 Hz.  It is connected to the BBB via a mini
HDMI to HDMI cable, then an HDMI to DVI cable.  I'm nearly certain that the
monitor isn't the issue, as it will report on-screen if an input
resolution/frequency is out of range (and I'm not getting that).

I've also tried setting the resolution for my Xorg session, but from what I
can tell, the driver (fbdev?) doesn't permit changing resolution.  When I
run xrandr, it seems to indicate that my minimum and maximum resolution is
equal to the resolution I've already forced via uEnv.txt.

Forgive me if I've missed important details or this is a bit scattered.
Most of this effort occurred over the weekend (before I had access to this
group), so I'm trying to re-visit the key steps I took (ignoring many that
appeared to have no impact).