I'm using " amixer set Speaker 100%" to turn the volume all the way up, but
the sound level coming out of my mini-speaker (via USB sound adapter) is
barely a whisper - but it is definitely audible. Do I just need a bigger
speaker? Lower Ohms? Different "amixer" settings?

Anyway, here is a link to the audio adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IRVQ0F8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and here is a link to the mini-speaker.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1890?gclid=CjwKCAiAlNf-BRB_EiwA2osbxVKKNeMPMA_9rEXRKPnz9IsqDNvQx1z-Oz6XTPvXRog8NjRMjgmNchoC_ZQQAvD_BwE

Here is the output of the "amixer" commands:

debian@beaglebone:/var/lib/cloud9$ amixer set Speaker 100%

Simple mixer control 'Speaker',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 37
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 37 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 37 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]

debian@beaglebone:/var/lib/cloud9$ amixer
Simple mixer control 'Speaker',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 37
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 37 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 37 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Mic',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined cvolume cvolume-joined pswitch
pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Capture channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31 Capture 0 - 35
  Mono: Playback 16 [52%] [-7.00dB] [off] Capture 20 [57%] [8.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Auto Gain Control',0
  Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Mono
  Mono: Playback [on]

debian@beaglebone:/var/lib/cloud9$ aplay
/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav' : Signed 16 bit
Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Mono

The result is a barely audible female voice saying "front center".

Any help/guidance will be greatly appreciated !!!