Take the following with a grain of salt in that it's probably outdated, but
it may also be something to consider if you're not planning on using capes:

A few year's back on BBB, we ran across an issue where config-pin gave an
error when attempting to reconfigure pins that were already in use by the
cape manager/cape universal.  At the time, I THINK, there was a way to
disable the cape manager/cape universal via changing a variable/flag
setting in uEnv.txt.  I think that was on an image around the time the
transition to U-boot overlays was going on..

The following post shows a line in uEnv.txt for enabling, and I assuming
disabling cape universal:

https://github.com/beagleboard/bb.org-overlays/issues/79

enable_uboot_cape_universal=1

So, not sure if this means that if you change to 0 in uEnv.txt, that it
would free up pins so that pin-config no longer gives an error.