As far as I remember the cookbook does not cover the ADC but I believe
there are some simple ADC-read example directly in the image
under /var/lib/cloud9/Techlab/.challenges, or here:
https://github.com/beagleboard/cloud9-examples/blob/master/PocketBeagle/TechLab/.challenges/analogIn.pru0.c
They are labeled for PocketBeagle but it's the same ti-am335x chip so they
should work easily on the BBB.

Also this recent thread should be
useful! https://groups.google.com/g/beagleboard/c/-WlvGEaqrKU
Hope it helps!