I'm surprised this post even came through. The beagleboard forum
/moved/ to a new web-based-only system (which I have refused to fight with
-- I tried but found it cryptic and unusable for someone accustomed to
newsreader clients which fetch all messages in a batch and permit later
send, fetch next message")

        The Google Groups forum has been abandoned.

On Wed, 1 Sep 2021 16:50:11 +0100, in gmane.comp.hardware.beagleboard.user
Chris Green <cl-rxdkphot...@public.gmane.org> wrote:

>If one has a BBB which normally boots from eMMC is it possible to
>write a script that will reboot from the microSD card?

        On current Beagle systems, it is u-Boot which determines the boot
device dynamically.

        That is:

                By default the u-Boot in the eMMC starts processing

                It then scans for a bootable uSD card

                If a valid uSD card is found, it toggles the boot device to be
the
uSD card, and proceeds to load the configuration from the uSD card;
otherwise it continues to load the configuration from the eMMC

        If there is no u-Boot (and maybe other files) found on the eMMC, the
SoC [hardware] boot sequence is to look for a valid uSD card and load
u-Boot from that card.

        The end state: if a bootable uSD card exists, it automatically becomes
the booted image, skipping the rest of the eMMC (u-Boot comes from the
first version found: eMMC then uSD).

        Prior to this form of u-Boot, one was required to hold down the
boot-select button on the BBB to force uSD card load. But that form of
u-Boot vanished near the end of the Wheezy era (Debian 7). This was also
the days of kernel loaded device tree overlays -- u-Boot loaded overlays
came in during the Jessie (Debian 8) era. The two u-Boots are totally
INCOMPATIBLE with Debian versions of the other style (Wheezy u-Boot does
not load DTOs, but Jessie and later Debian kernels expect to find the DTOs
already loaded).

        I don't know enough about u-Boot and uEnv.txt to know if there is some
way to modify uEnv.txt to /not/ transfer control to the uSD card except
when you want to do you back-up stuff.

--
Dennis L Bieber