The reason you don't usually track cost basis for currency conversion is
because usually you just spend the money you get after doing the
conversion. Knowing that the 5 USD you just spent on ice cream used to be
7.5 CHF and reporting it as a realized gain isn't usually required.

Your situation is different because you are trading currencies for
investments and thus reporting them on your taxes. In that situation, you
do want to know the change in value of the commodities over time.

I don't have a recommendation on average cost booking at this point.
Luckily I haven't run into that situation yet ;)