Hello,
I have currently split my beancount file in different files.
I have one main file with different other that are referenced in the main
file with an included.
It is easier for editing but as far as I understand, in memory there are
only one list of entry meaning that all the file referenced in the main
file are always loaded.
If you don't want to load everything all the time , for me you need to :
Play with the file you include in the main file
Use pad depending when you want to not load everything.

About performance, if there are a part of the data that is not changed
often, I have seen that put it in a different file seem a bit faster.

Regards