On Thursday, November 21, 2019 at 8:36:16 PM UTC+7, nug get wrote:

> then Gnucash and going for beancount now, with an account history of about
> 3 years.

Out of curiosity, why would you switch from gnucash to beancount?

I think the reality is that beancount is implicitly targeting a very niche
set of users (probably why traffic on this mailing list is so slow!) -- and
I'm not sure unix-newbies is that niche. All of the issues you run into are
why people often decide to pay for software instead.

That said, you're right that the bean-price document is woefully out of
date with its references to defunct sources. A while back (two years?) both
Yahoo and Google killed their APIs. Eventually Martin rewrote the Yahoo one
but AFAIK the Google one is still dead. But the documentation hasn't really
been updated to account for that. I'm actually not sure how one goes about
updating the documentation these days?

But price fetching is always going to be the most brittle part of
beancount. Virtually all providers have switched away from providing easy,
free APIs for fetching stock quotes over the past 5-10 years. You need to
sign up to a service and (often) pay money. :(