On Sun, Jun 21, 2020 at 11:42 PM <gargoylemu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello! I'm a newcomer to Beancount and text-based accounting, and I'm
> working on moving from spreadsheets to Beancount for my small business. I
> am using "inventories" to track physical inventory - in my case, notebooks
> which I make and sell.
>
> My question is as follows: when I purchase inventory with different prices
> per lot, my trial balance does not "balance". Rather, the value of assets
> is is calculated using the most recent inventory purchase price, rather
> than the price specific to that lot. Here is an example:
>
> option "booking_method" "FIFO"
> option "operating_currency" "USD"
>
> plugin "beancount.plugins.implicit_prices"
>
> 2014-01-01 open Equity:Opening-Balances
> 2014-01-01 open Assets:Checking:Chase
> 2018-12-01 open Assets:Inventory
>
> 2018-01-01 * "Deposit"
>   Assets:Checking:Chase                1000.00 USD
>   Equity:Opening-Balances
>
>  2018-12-27 * "Original run of notebooks"
>    Assets:Inventory 25 NOTEBOOKS {             20.00 USD, "Original lot of
> books"}
>    Assets:Checking:Chase -500.00 USD
>
>  2019-12-27 * "New run of notebooks"
>    Assets:Inventory 25 NOTEBOOKS {             12.00 USD, "New run of
> books"}
>    Assets:Checking:Chase -300.00 USD
>
> In this case, the stated value of my inventory is $600.00. However, I
> would *expect* the value to be $800.00: the first lot was purchased for
> $500.00, and the second was purchased for $300.00.

You're using the implicit_prices plugin; the latter (final) transaction
sets the latest price at 12.00 USD and you're probably computing the market
value based on that prices (the last price we saw for notebooks). 50 x 12 =
600

> I realize that is is a bit of a misapplication of "inventories" - in
> beancount (and ledger), inventory refers to securities. I surmise that the
> remaining $200.00 is considered an unrealized loss within the system, and
> thus the trial balance does not, well, balance by that amount.

The term "inventory" in Beancount usually refers to a data structure, not
to the concept of inventorization you're using (you're doing *real*
inventories).

> My question is: would there be a more appropriate way, or directive, to
> change the behavior of beancount to not do this, and simply use the cost of
> an item at the time it was purchased for determining the value of assets?

Is it sufficient to report the cost basis? How are you calculating the
value?
You can use COST() in the SQL query tool to get the total cost basis for
these, which should be 800.00 USD