On 07/11/2020 02:55, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Daniele Nicolodi <dani...@grinta.net> [2020-11-07 00:29]:
>> I would like to standardize and automate the retrieval of currency
>> exchange rates. However, I haven't been able to find a service that
>> offers easy and free access at historical data.
>
> These two look imho interesting:
>
> Exchange Rates API
> https://exchangeratesapi.io/
> Exchange rates API is a free service for current and historical foreign
> exchange rates
> published by the European Central Bank

It is my understanding that the exchange rates published by the European
Central Bank are not market exchange rates thus the data provided by
Exchange Rates API does not seem to be useful for tracking assets value.

> Open Exchange Rates
> https://openexchangerates.org/

The free plan at Open Exchange Rates only allows USD as the base
currency. Also, I haven't been able to find how they compute the
exchange rates they publish.

>> I am not even sure that different sources agree on what is the mid
>> market daily average exchange rate. I am almost ashamed of my
>> ignorance int his field. Is there a think like an "official" number?
>> Which sources does people use?
>
> I don't think there's an "official" number but I'll let the experts
> comment.

I think that the numbers published by central banks are the closest
think there is to an "official" exchange rate, but these are not
accessible to privates.

Cheers,
Dan