* Mark Scannell <mesca...@gmail.com> [2022-12-23 06:10]:
> The UK doesn't distinguish between purchased lots -- *it simply
> doesn't care *-- and, for tax purposes, adopts a
> dollar-cost-averaging approach with a twist if you sell/buy in short
> windows.

So it does care within the first 30 days. ;)  Section 104 holding
(i.e. average cost) only applies for those held longer than 30 days.

> I'm trying to get my head around if it's even possible -- without
> too much work -- to adopt Beancount.

Someone was working on average cost support a few years ago, but I
can't remember the outcome.  Martin, do you know what happened to
that?

> Looking through some documentation, it looks like the best thing to
> do is to treat investments like currencies @ values -- which could
> then delegate to plugins to calculate capital gains and losses
> somehow...

I wouldn't do that.  For example, you lose the info about how many
units you hold.  And, as you hint, you lose the built-in capital gains
capabilities.

> Just wondering if anyone has gone down a similar path?

I'm curious what you're doing with ledger and why you are concerned
about moving from ledger to beancount.  Beancount can do everything
ledger can do in this regard (and more, such as LIFO and FIFO, even if
that's not useful to you).

--
Martin Michlmayr
https://www.cyrius.com/