Yes. You're right that it should come from equity.  Actually, this article
<https://www.accountingtools.com/articles/are-dividends-considered-an-expense.html>

confirms it:

    Dividends
<https://www.accountingtools.com/articles/what-are-dividends.html> are not
considered an expense <https://www.accountingtools.com/articles/expense>,
because they are a distribution of a firm’s accumulated earnings.
    For this reason, dividends never appear on an issuing entity's income
statement <https://www.accountingtools.com/articles/the-income-statement>
as an expense. Instead,
    dividends are treated as a distribution of the equity
<https://www.accountingtools.com/articles/equity> of a business.

    When dividends are paid in cash, they are subtracted from the equity
section of the balance sheet
<https://www.accountingtools.com/articles/the-balance-sheet> and are
    also subtracted from the cash line item in the balance sheet, resulting
in an overall decline in the size of the balance sheet.

Somehow this didn't sink in the first time I read it.

As to whether it's better to have a single Equity:Investments account or a
separate Equity:Drawings, I'll have to try both approaches to see which
works better.

Thanks for the help. It's very much appreciated.

Anders.