On Tue, Aug 8, 2023 at 9:46 PM Eric Altendorf <ericaltend...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 30, 2023 at 8:39 AM Martin Blais <bl...@furius.ca> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jul 15, 2023 at 11:19 AM Eric Altendorf <ericaltend...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> This page discussed Beancount's incomplete handling of acquisition
>>> costs/commissions:
>>> https://beancount.github.io/docs/trading_with_beancount.html#commissions
>>> Is that still an outstanding issue?
>>>

>> Yes.  Historically the few times I needed this I wrote a script to do
>> this at reporting time. Johnny also deals with this properly.
>>

> This is now one of my next issues to deal with.  I could hack my importers
> to tweak costs and proceeds, but it feels like something better handled by
> a plugin?  I found this in labs, which I assume means it's only a partial
> solution:
>

> https://github.com/beancount/beanlabs/blob/master/beanlabs/washsales/commissions.py
>
> Are there any other relevant existing plugins?  This seems like a very
> common need for trading/investing, I would think someone has solved this
> already...

In the rare chance someone else is following along at home :), i decided to
implement this in my importers.  It was a little easier to verify that
everything's correct given I have some wonky fee structures (e.g., fees
paid in the traded asset rather than USD).  It does make the reporting and
human legibility worse, but it's still grokkable, and i leave breadcrumbs
in the metadata.