Am 12.09.23 um 04:52 schrieb Josh D:
Is anyone utilizing a Prometheus exporter to track, store, and graph your financial metrics in Grafana? It would be interesting to (1) store / track them over time, (2) do all sort of maths, like savings rate, runway (how long can you last without income), how long it will take to pay off your mortgage, etc. - as a dashboard.

I don't see the value of duplicating the financial data from a beancount ledger (which is already a database, and supports BQL queries) to Prometheus (a time-series database).

Grafana dashboards would definitely be a cool idea though.
I think it would be nice to have a Grafana data source, which can run BQL queries against a Beancount ledger. It could work with either:
* a custom Grafana backend datasource [1]
* some daemon (standalone or Fava extension) exposing a HTTP API which accepts BQL queries and returns Grafana Data frames [2], then we could use some already existing general-purpose data source, e.g. [3].

For my personal dashboards I wanted something integrated in Fava, therefore I created a little Fava extension fava-dashboards [4], which renders charts from BQL queries. Not as fancy as Grafana, but simple to implement and extensible.

[1] https://grafana.com/docs/grafana/latest/developers/plugins/create-a-grafana-plugin/develop-a-plugin/build-a-data-source-backend-plugin/ [2] https://grafana.com/docs/grafana/latest/developers/plugins/introduction-to-plugin-development/data-frames/
[3] https://grafana.com/grafana/plugins/simpod-json-datasource/
[4] https://github.com/andreasgerstmayr/fava-dashboards

Cheers,
Andreas

Josh

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Beancount" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to beancount+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:beancount+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beancount/a5517d33-09a9-4be5-a3fe-7315b991cff7n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beancount/a5517d33-09a9-4be5-a3fe-7315b991cff7n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.