I’m diving deep into Beancount, about two weeks in, now, and I’m really liking
what I’m seeing; kudos to everyone who’s written software and documentation to
make getting started relatively painless!

I was a YNAB user for a bit but fell off the wagon.  I’m looking to replicate
the budgeting aspects of that product, in addition to tracking investments. I’m
off to a good start.  I’m ultimately trying to track expenses and budgets for
myself and also my household; like others my partner and I have “mine” and
“ours” buckets of money and it’s served us well, but both “mine” and “ours”
could use some budgeting. I’ve been attempting to virtually separate those
buckets within a single Beancount ledger, but I’m suspecting that I may end up
having separate ledgers…

I’ve started looking at fava-envelope, but I’m not sure it can do what I would
like: designate AssetA  as the budget account for ExpenseA, and AssetB as the
budget account for ExpenseB and ExpenseB’.  Is that possible with
fava-envelope? If not, is there another envelope budgeting extension that might
come closer?

I’d also be interested in hearing about other approaches to managing budgets
with Beancount that isn’t just trying to ape YNAB! 😄

Thanks,
Brian
—
Brian Lalor (he/him)