I think I can get a fully customizable experience by using "NONE" and zero
cost basis. Please critique this:

;----------
2014-05-20 open Assets:Futures:GOLD-DEC-24 GOLD-DEC-24 "NONE"
2014-05-20 open Assets:Citibank:Cash USD
2014-05-20 open Income:CapitalGains USD
2014-05-20 open Expenses:CapitalLosses USD

2014-05-20 * "Buy GOLD-DEC-24 @1000.0"
  Assets:Futures:GOLD-DEC-24  2 GOLD-DEC-24  { 0 USD }

2014-05-21 * "Sell GOLD-DEC-24 @1010.0"
  Assets:Futures:GOLD-DEC-24  -1 GOLD-DEC-24  { 0 USD }
  Assets:Citibank:Cash 10 USD
  Income:CapitalGains -10 USD

2014-05-22 * "Sell GOLD-DEC-24 @990.0"
  Assets:Futures:GOLD-DEC-24  -1 GOLD-DEC-24  { 0 USD }
  Assets:Citibank:Cash -10 USD
  Expenses:CapitalLosses 10 USD
;----------

Advantage: Full control.

Drawbacks:

   1. The cost basis is just a dummy value (only to "enable a custom
   experience").
   2. I lose Beancount's automatic mismatch checks on futures quantity vs.
   cash.
   3. I also lose Beancount's automatic matching; have to do matching and
   PnL calculations myself.
   4. Beancount reporting doesn't automatically reflect unrealized gains.

Is this on the right track? (Point 4 is very unfortunate but I could
alleviate that by e.g. annual (December 31) entry to record unrealized
gains.)

Thanks,
Dan