This may not help you but I figure I'll mention it here since moving cost
basis came up.

A few years I wrote a plugin to (try to) do this. "It worked for me" but a
user soon reported an issue. You can't ever use the {} syntax.

https://github.com/hoostus/beancount-asset-transfer-plugin/issues/1

"In loader.py around lines 506-513 it looks like the loader runs
"interpolation" on incomplete booking entries before it runs
"transformations" from plugins. So the {} gets triggered (and then fails
because it can't find enough matching holdings) before the asset_transfer
plugin has a chance to run and actually generate the holdings.

You can workaround this by not using {} and instead specifying the lots
explicitly."