Yes; while it doesn't address timing, it should be good enough for now:
https://beancount.github.io/docs/api_reference/beancount.plugins.html#beancount.plugins.check_commodity.validate_commodity_directives

(Also, while I was "in the neighborhood", I noticed another plugin that
addresses another concern that I had.)

Thanks Martin!