I'm not sure what "50K credits" is, but I guess the seller gave you a
discount?

If the house price was discounted by 50k, arguably the house price
wasn't worth 1000k but 950k.

Alternatively, if you think the house price is really 1000k, you can
use an Income: account.  Some people say using an income account for
non-taxable income feels wrong, but I don't see why and it certainly
makes sense if you look at the accounting equation.

For example, I sometimes use Income:Rewards:Voucher if I get a
voucher/coupon for a discount

2024-01-05 * "Supermarket" "Food"
  Expenses:Food            10.00 EUR
  Assets:Cash              -8.00 EUR
  Income:Rewards:Voucher   -2.00 EUR ; 2 off coupon

That makes perfect sense to me because the item *was* 10.00 EUR
and the only reason I only needed 8 EUR in cash was because I
had a voucher - the voucher is basically like money in this case.

OTOH, if the shop discounted the 10 EUR product to 8 EUR for some
special occasion (e.g. Christmas), I would have just booked it as an
expense of 8 EUR.

So you need to make a judgement call as to how to model your
transaction.  If the seller gave you a discount, I'd argue the house
price is 950k.  But if e.g. you got some non-taxable government
credit, sure, book the full 1000k plus the 50k credit. (That would be
the case for EV cars where some countries give credits; I haven't
heard about this for houses except maybe for solar cells and other
"green" enhancements like that.)

Martin

* flyaway <flyaway1...@gmail.com> [2024-01-04 21:32]:

--