Hello, new Beancount user of a few weeks here.  I'm cutting over from Quicken as of the first of the year.  The import was a lot of work but I have fiddled my way to a beautiful 61,000 line file of converted data.  Some fixing of QIF parsers and converters, and lots of fixing my old data.  Quicken allows some real garbage!

Anyways, as I get ready to do my first import of transactions directly into Beancount, it occurs to me that I get an email of every transaction that occurs on my credit cards.  With some email rules and cron jobs this could potentially keep my credit card accounts perpetually up to date on at least a daily basis if not better.  And it would be verified on a monthly basis with ending balances, etc.

Has anyone put some thought into this technique?  Any roadblocks?  Are any parts of such a processing flow already built?

Some sample data from emails is below.  I think account, amount, merchant, and date is all one needs?

Example 1:

You made a $5.36 transaction
Account     Visa (...1234)
Date     Jan 1, 2024 at 12:00 PM ET