Thinking about your question further: I find that when I import
transactions, credit cards are the only ones that deal with expenses and
need categorization. I find that smart_importer gets almost all of them
right. I do skim through the import as a part of my workflow, but it takes
less than a minute to rapidly look through a month's data (say, a 100
transactions), and find the occasional one that needs to be fixed.

Yet another way to address this problem is to glance at my monthly
expenditure categories in a report (I use Fava), where big
miscategorizations (a rare occurrence) stand out fairly obviously.