This is primarily a user feature to make it easier to identify a file
type (by its extension).  It plays no role whatsoever in how files are
processed, so you should get identical build/runtime behavior whether
it is a .jcs or a .java file.

For Eclipse users, it is hardly a feature, since it really wants
things that contain Java source code to be named .java... so I'd
certainly recommend going that route.

-- Kyle