I need help installing CGI.pm module through ftp.

First of all, I don't understand how I can where I write the below
commands.  I am at home and the server is on campus.  I tested a
CGI.pm script to see if it was installed, it may be but my cgi
priveleges do not seem to allow me access.

So, (don't laugh) I tried to make a cgi file with the below code
except setting the perl path #!/usr/local/bin/perl and then tried to
run the code from the browser but it didn't work.  I don't know what
else to try.  Can I just upload CGI.pm then say use?  I know, no,
because it needs to be installed?  (Well, I tried this as well and no
go.)

Install CGI.pm without privileges per CGIpm.html by L.Stein:

    % perl Makefile.PL INSTALLDIRS=site INSTALLSITELIB=/home/your/private/dir
    % make
    % make install
*** Teresa Raymond
*** http://www.mariposanet.com