David Labatte wrote:

> heheheh now that all depends.  If I run:
>
>      perl -e'package hell; print *holes;'
>
> Then I get as output:
>
> *hell::holes
>
> Which actually more closely describes where programmers usually find
> employment, not the programmers that are employed there.  Common
> mistake that.  use strict and -w from now on and it will help you to not
> make these kinds of mistakes in the future. :)

i think there are several things that help contribute to the testiness
of open source programmers in general:

1)  most project managers don't know anything about programming.
2)  most department managers are too concerned with looking good to
their superiors.
3)  most board directors/ceo's/presidents think that if it's free, it
can't be any good.

the problem from #1 is that the statement of work is not adequate to
produce what the customer really wants.  the problem from #2 is that
shit rolls downhill.  the problem from #3 is that the bosses step on the
open source solutions to kiss the pinky rings of sun and microsoft.

and there's that grasshopper thing mel mentioned.

at least, that's what my experiences have been.