Hi,

I'm trying to get a cgi program working (I didn't write it) and I'm
experiencing some mysterious problems.  First of I'll, I should tell you
that the error I get is the dreaded "Internal Server Error" message.  I've
also looked in the logs, and they're further explicated as follows:

[Tue Jul 17 00:42:16 2001] [error] (2)No such file or directory: exec of
/var/www/html/ebay/cgi-bin/spawn_server.cgi failed
[Tue Jul 17 00:42:16 2001] [error] [client 64.231.11.99] Premature end of
script headers: /var/www/html/ebay/cgi-bin/spawn_server.cgi

Now for some details:

1) I'm using Apache 1.3.20

2) I'm using ScriptAlias to specify the cgi-bin directory

3) I can execute a simple 'hello world' program in the same cgi-bin
directory both from the shell, and through CGI.  The permissions for all the
files are 755.  The owner of the file is 'nobody', and the group is 'root'.

4) I've tried debugging the script by adding a print statement, and I found
that the program would execute from the shell, but not through CGI.  The
program expects a ton of parameters to be passed to it from the browser, and
when I'm executing it from the shell, the only sign that it is working is
the output from my print statement.

It almost seems as if CGI is actually intermittent.  I ran the script as
follows:

perl -cw spawn_server.cgi and the output of that indicated that the code was
ok.

I know that this error is very general, but any help pointing me in a
direction for debugging it would be most appreciated.

Rob Yale