Thanks Brett.  I'll try that.

                                  Adam Carson
                                MIS Department
                             Berkeley County, SC

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Adam Carson wrote:

> If you are suggesting that I use Mail::sendmail instead (are you?),
> the reason is that I got this code from Novell's website and it seemed
> to be a useful and easy to understand piece of code.  As a perl
> beginner, I also thought that understanding the process might be
> useful in the future... although I remember the discussion regarding
> hand-rolled CGI subs.  I would like to continue with my "low level"
> script unless there are valid security concerns regarding its use.  I
> will also look into Mail:sendmail as an alternative.  If I see that it
> is easier to use, I'll definitely switch.

Actually, no I was suggesting using:

open(MAIL, "| /usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -t") or die' Can't fork sendmail: $!\n";

print <<"MSG";
MSG

I see no reason to explicitly set up the smtp server handshake unless you
are trying to create your own MTA or doing some other kinds of tricks with
your mail transport.

-- Brett

                                   http://www.chapelperilous.net/btfwk/