Adam,

I needed a clean output from Word for very large docs that only have
paragraph styles. So I wrote a little VB macro that tags anything in Word
with its style. It only handles para styles not other formatting.

So after running the macro: a heading1 styled paragraph would be end up as
<heading1>the heading</heading1>.
Normal would be: <normal>this is body text</normal>.

The file is saved as text and can then be parsed as simple xml with Perl.

regards,
Richard