Use DBI.  Doing your own parsing of files and data is more of a headache
than you need.  It may depend on your application, but when it comes to file
parsing - you're re-inventing the wheel.

There are several good Database's out there that are open source.  Plus if
all your effort is "in house" you'll have very few security issues to worry
about.

Randy Peterman