Hi, listizens.

I've been trying to build an automated web site, where sections of the site
are subdirectories of the document root. What I'm looking for is a way,
preferably easy and convenient, for a cgi script residing in
/arbitrary/cgi/directory to get a directory listing of
/other_arbitrary/webserver/document/root. If I

opendir(DIR,"\/");

I get the *system* root directory, which is undesirable. I *could* hardcode
the full path of the document root according to the system, and this would
work, but it would be a) inelegant and 2) not easily portable, both of
which make it suboptimal in my opinion. I could use the path "../htdocs/"
which would work on most default installations of apache, but I would
prefer a guaranteed completely portable method because I may have to use
the script on a MS IIS installation and would prefer to minimize the
rewriting necessary for that.

I've looked through the docs on perldoc.com for the CGI module, and they
suggest no solution to me. (path_translated() gives me the path to the
script, not to the document root.) Any suggestions?

--
Robert Bunn
JAPN

This messsage was sent using the trial version of the
1st Class Mail Server software.

The 1st Class Mail Server 3.0 has lots of cool new features.
Best of all, it's still free! To download the latest version,
go to http://www.1cis.com/download/1cismail.asp