At 02:59 PM 9/2/2001 -0700, Lynn Glessner wrote:
>I haven't had a chance to work on it recently, but I think it will turn out
>to be the .cgi extension (I'll have to go back and see who suggested that).
>I have my scripts in a directory which was created automatically called
>"scripts" a subdirecctory of c:\inetpub - IIS has it configured for
>executables. However, all my perl scripts in this directory have the

Yeah, Joel was correct in his previous mail. There is no cgi-bin directory
created in IIS. My poor memory was really referring to this directory,
which should have worked.

>extension .cgi. Double-clicking one of the example files installed by
>ActivePerl (those files have a .pl extension)  executes fine, but my .cgi
>files have a generic icon - can't believe I didn't think to check that.

Yes, this would have been a clue, but don't feel bad. This is deceptive
because IIS actually pays little attention to the file manager
associations. So .cgi could have been associated in IIS but the Windows
Explorer still gives no icon if they were set up differently.

I am not sure about Microsoft's motivation of separating Explorer from IIS
file ending associations. It possible this was done for security reasons so
that not all files become executables in IIS unless configured for IIS.

>I have the O'Reilly CGI book, with the rat/mouse on the cover, it is very
>helpful for CGI and Perl. I have the working version at work, it's just the
>implementation at home on IIS that I'm struggling with after doing my
>development at work. :(

Well if this is just a home machine, I think someone else had also
suggested using Win32/Apache. This might also be easier unless you are
familiar with using IIS for everything else you are experimenting with.

If you do get the simple .cgi works in the scripts directory, then also
note that if you dump your .cgi inside of c:\inetpub\scripts (if thats your
directory) then the program will work when you use relative paths.

But your relative paths won't work if you put it in a subdirectory of
c:\inetpub\scripts because IIS always does the equivalent of chdir back to
the root of the c:\inetpub\scripts directory itself. So you need to make
all paths relative to c:\inetpub\scripts rather than, say,
c:\inetpub\scripts\myScriptArea if you put myscript.cgi in there.

Although you haven't run into this problem yet, I mention it in advance
because it's the next most common complaint I see next to the file
association one with regards to how to make an application work.

>Thanks very much for the suggestions, I hope to be able to tackle this
>tonight (after my 2 year old goes to bed - she doesn't have much patience
>for programming yet!).

:)