Hi all,

I actually combine both of these suggestions.  I have my passwords stored
seperately.  In fact, I tend to put ALL database functions in one perl module
or PHP include file outsite the docroot.  It adds an extra level of
abstraction when I'm writing my CGI/PHP code.  It also means that  if I
change anything in the database - move machines, change the schema, move to
mysql (god forbid) - I only have two files to edit.

I then use the firewall approach too.  Most firewalls have three zones; green
trusted, amber DMZ, and red public.  I have my firewall configured so that I
only allow port 80 from red to amber, and 5432 from amber to green.

Gary

--
Gary Stainburn