>> Yes, and surprisingly enough, it's called "rename". :)

Justin> I've had bad luck using rename, I've had to copy the file to
Justin> the new name and deep six the old, check out File::Copy, I
Justin> think it ironically, has a function called copy(), or even
Justin> cp(), my memory eludes me.

Well, what was your $! when the rename failed?  If it was "cross-device link",
then you attempted something that you really can't do.

But to say in general that "rename" is perhaps broken is a bit too
much for me to let stand with no comment.

My advice to the original poster: use rename, but be aware that it can
only rename within a disk, not across disks.