Hi all,

I just posted a question to the beginners-cgi list yesterday;  I'm
having almost the exact same problem.  Both my cgi script and the script
I am trying to call via system are owned by root, but I'm not sure if
that is related to the user the cgi script is run as under the web
server. (Forgive me if my vernacular is incorrect).  Anyway, the
important part is, how do I get the system call to work?

Thanks,

James

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Daniel Falkenberg wrote:

> I am working on a CGI script that needs to execute this command from
> sub within the script...
>
> system("/usr/sbin/adduser test");
>
> I can issue this from a single non-CGI script and it works fine.  I
have
> also double checked the permission on the file but it still won't
> execute this system call?

adduser is a system program that should be run as root.  If you are
running this in a CGI environment, you won't be able to run the script
because the user the CGI script is running as is the same as that of
your
web server (probably 'nobody'), and is not allowed to run the program.

-- Brett