Jimmy Lewis wrote:

> I have a project where the CGI form is being displayed in Netscape as raw
> HTML but in IE it works fine. Are you familiar with this problem?

Generally, this means that Netscape (version?, platform?) does not
recognize the MIME type of the data sent by the server as HTML. This may
not be a flaw in Netscape but on the server side: IE (version?
platform?) seems to "guess" the MIME type by the extension of the URL/file.

Do you use CGI.pm (see Scott's mail) or does your application send the
content type by code like

        print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";

(Mind the capital C!)

"Scott R. Godin" wrote:

> does your form pass the validator test at http://validator.w3.org/ for
> being clean html or xhtml?

The problem with this validator is that you get hundreds of errors which
should not be errors but warnings when, e. g., you specified the height
of a table in the HTML 3.2 AND HTML 4.0 way: it only accepts one single
standard. This means that every page which can be viewed with older or
just real-life browsers will give lots of "errors".
I do not code my pages for validators I code them for being viewed with
browsers and - unfortunately - the only way for control is to test it
with lots of browsers.

> most of todays web browsers don't fully support HTML 4

I don't know any. Opera tries to.

> which is, IMHO akin to not fully supporting ASCII, a basic minimalistic
> standard.

Hah?

I do not want to start a flame about the pros and cons of standard
conformity and the policy of W3C but although you are right, Scott - it
*is* pityful - my "customers" are students who have to go with antique
hardware and, therefore, very old software (older than HTML 4.0) because
they can't afford something newer. I have to respect this.

Cheers

Stephan
--
Dipl.-Chem. Stephan Tinnemeyer