Thanks for the tips guys.

Francesco: where in the book did you find the code you adapted? I've got the
book (I had a look before posting), but short of scanning every page, I
couldn't find it.

Brett: <after a quick search of perl.com> I now know next to nothing about
SSI's, which is more than I knew before reading your post. I would prefer to
use Perl/CGI though.

Marty: shameless plug! ;-) Sorry, only looking for free stuff.

I'm currently looking at "Expanding Menus" by Collin Forbes:
http://kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu/~collinf/scripts.html?mo=exp&key=bf

Any thoughts?

Gerry.